Tuesday, June 20, 2017

The Forbidden Wish (The Forbidden Wish, #1) by Jessica Khoury (Goodreads Author) - Book Review

So, I gotta say, this book was completely different than what I expected! In a good way!!

Let's just start off with the one con that I have with this book: the first half of the book failed to hold my attention. I liked the first chapter when Aladdin and Zahra meet, but after that, it just seemed really slow to me. I pushed through it though because I knew based on the summary it would get intense toward the end.

And it certainly did!!! The halfway point in the book marked a complete shift into dramatic scenarios, romantic interludes, and crazy adventure!

Aladdin was everything I expected him to be: a witty, conniving, bad boy wannabe with a pure heart. I loved his character because he is the reformed thief- all about solitude, the next big score, women, and drinking... and that's when Zahra comes in. What I love about this type of character is this: the ones that desire solitude are the ones that have the most love and passion to give.

Zahra was quite a spitfire! This I wasn't expecting from her. When I read the summary, I expected her to be a bit more tame and unassuming. She is just like Aladdin though, which is what makes them perfect for each other. Both are stubborn, feisty, and very goal oriented.

The romance between Aladdin and Zahra was hauntingly beautiful. During the first half of the book, these two were like two separate elements- fire and gunpowder. Separately, they do nothing, but when they finally meet, it creates an explosion! That was what their romance was like! Very warm and all consuming!

The writing style was quite capturing. I loved how Jessica Khoury constantly allowed us to see the story from Zahra's view and hear her thoughts to Habiba (Roshana). It made it so much more personal and easy to relate to her.

Overall, I give this story 4 stars. The first half of the book could have been a bit more engaging, but the second half made up for it! I definitely recommend reading this!

No comments:

Post a Comment