Thursday, June 22, 2017

Unhooked by Lisa Maxwell (Goodreads Author) - Book Review

I'm totally hooked on Unhooked! No pun intended!

I can understand why it is described as the "Neverland of your nightmares." This dark and thrilling adventure left me on the edge of my seat the whole time! Lisa Maxwell did a fantastic job with this book! It was gripping, exciting, and I couldn't put it down!

Let me just start with how amazing the writing was! Lisa Maxwell did such a good job with setting the mood of the story! Right from the off, you could almost literally feel the eerie gloom of London. It was forboding, which let you know right from the off that this story was far from the sweet fairytale that we all know and love!

The characters are amazing! Completely different from what you would expect! I have to say that even though I love the original Peter Pan, I am officially a fan of Hook now! Who we all know as Captain Hook, Rowan is the gorgeous, young rogue pirate that you would love to hate, but just can't! The Captain Hook we know is an old, vengeful man trying to bring down Peter Pan, and tends to make himself look like a laughingstock. However, this Hook will reel you in and never let you go (not that you would want to go anywhere anyways lol)!

Trust me when I say that you will hate Peter! Take everything you know about Peter and toss it out the window! Peter is like a siren, and we all know what trouble sirens can be! Enough said!

Tinker Bell is two-faced! There is nothing sweet about that one!

There isn't much to say about Olivia other than there wasn't much too much depth to her character, which is too bad. I would have liked to have seen more depth with Olivia, to really get to know her.

As far as the plot of the story goes, it was very well thought out, but again, it's VERY dark. There are very few moments of pleasantness and light. Much like the summary says, Gwen and Olivia are kidnapped on their first night in London by the monsters Gwen's mother had been trying to protect her from. She gets taken to Neverland, quickly finding out that the real Neverland is a place where nightmares are reality. I did have to pace myself on this because, even though I couldn't put the book down, I did have to stop for bits at a time and find a happy place. It tends to make you feel a bit down.

Overall, I give this book 4 stars. While it was a completely awesome story, I wish it wasn't quite so dark. Definitely a must read, though!
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2035450575

No comments:

Post a Comment